Friday, August 17, 2007

Godly desires?

There's people I want to be like. They can be referred to as J, J, S, B, and various S's.

But why do I want to be like them? Obviously, because they love God and are following Him with every aspect of their lives. But they're also close friends with other people like them, participating in their activities, sharing their lives, and generally being accepted by them.

Is it because I feel a need for acceptance that I want to be like them? Or is that perceived need for acceptance really an appropriate desire for Godly fellowship?

What should I really be wanting?

By the way, I'm changing the title of my blog to "Entré-acte." The reason is because "epilogue" didn't mean anything, and "entré-acte," being a piece of music typically performed between the first and second acts of a dramatic musical production, carries connotations of "the already and the not yet," a saying for the spiritual time in which we live.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice name change. I have to say I chumkled a little bit when the new name presented itself to my sight, as the first thought that came to mind was "are we reading this book backwards? Epilogue - entré-acte - ...preface??"

Kevin said...

That thought came to my mind too. Maybe we are.

Anonymous said...

ya know, something from Piper's Desiring God book came to my mind... it's in the appendix about "what if I don't feel like it?"

Basically, Piper said our motives for doing what we know is right will never be completely pure, but does that mean we just throw up our hands and do nothing? Of course not. We confess whatever sin has been revealed to us, and then still go ahead and do the good action, praying all along the way for God to give us a pure heart.

Michael said...

I chumkled a little as well. I like chumkling ... it makes me happy!

Acceptance is a funny thing. Not funny as in chumkling, but funny as in complex and multi-faceted. Is it wrong to want to be accepted by a particular person or group of people? No. But if you make that your only goal, and are willing to do anything to achieve it? What then?

Well, what is the object of your desire?

If you make pursuit of human acceptance your only goal and are willing to do anything to achieve it, then you are putting the Creatures before the Creator. That is idolatry. If you make pursuit of God's acceptance your only goal and are willing to do anything to achieve it, then you are putting the Creator before every created thing. That is worship. It would seem, therefore, that the question revolves around the object of your love. Some wise person has said that a person's character can be measured by the object of their affection.

The only way to achieve acceptance from God is through faith in Jesus Christ. As he said, "no one comes to the Father except through me". The good news is that acceptance by Christ is straightforward -- trust in him, and make him Lord of your life. His steadfast love never changes. His mercies never come to an end. Great is His faithfulness! Any who come to him he will in no way cast out.

But, what about acceptance from others? This is still a very real desire for most human beings. There is an answer for this as well. "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you as well." Your Father knows what you need. It is a father's delight to give good gifts to his children. As you pursue God, you will find that he brings "the right" people alongside you. Will they always be the same folks that you wanted to spend time with at the beginning? Not necessarily. Will you be satisfied in relationship with God and in relationship with your brothers and sisters? From my limited experience, yes.

There were folks in High School that I REALLY wanted to be close to. God never brought that about. However, in faithfully serving God's purposes, he has caused me to be surrounded by so many people that really care for me. He has given me friends where I would never have looked for them. My experience has been that as I've sought God and to serve him, he has met every need I have had, and given me more than I could have asked.

A final thought -- even if on earth these friendships never materialize, we will have an eternity to chill with these people.

That makes me chumkle.