(My dazzlingly beautiful sister and my profoundly ugly own self on the plane)
Susannah and I flew down a week ago Saturday. The Sherers didn't know we were coming. We landed in Charlotte and Mr. Sherer picked us up. We surprised (maybe surprised is a strong word; perhaps I should say were observed by) Micah at Chic-fil-a, where he works. Then we went to the Sherers' house and walked in on everyone else. I think they were happy to see us.
Sunday we went to church and Truth Project, meeting a lot of the Sherers' SC friends. Papa and Nana (their grandparents) and Ruthie (their aunt) came for dinner. In the evening Mr. Sherer hosted the Sherers' first worship night in South Carolina, and many of their friends came.
Here are Susannah and some Sherers outside their church.
Monday morning I went with Caleb and Micah to help Ruthie unload some stuff at her school classroom, and then we went to Papa and Nana's farm and did some chores and other work.
On Tuesday the whole family went to the farm. Nana and Papa weren't there, so we cleaned their house and mowed the lawn and stuff. Then Caleb, Micah, Peter, and I played some airsoft. When Papa and Nana came, we put each of the horses through their paces and took pictures of them (they'll be for sale).
On Wednesday I got to go to Mr. Sherer's coffee shop, Brew 'n' Ewe. I got to see how he runs the place. I also met Tim, the owner, and hung out for a while. Then I went to church and helped Abbi paint some Children's Ministry classrooms (sort of). Later Abbi and Mrs. Sherer and I went to babysit their little cousins, and we brought them back to the Sherers' house for dinner. The airsoft gun I'd ordered showed up, and it was pretty sweet.
Thursday we were taking care of the Sherers' cousins most of the morning, and in the afternoon I played airsoft with Micah and his friends. We were 2 to 5 for most of the game, but we still managed to score the most kills.
This is more of a diary right now, and it's boring. Feel free to skip all this. It's mostly for my own recollections and remembrances.
(Resumed at 12 PM, Tuesday)
On Friday Mrs. Sherer, Eva, Abbi, Susannah, and I got to tour the BJ LINC and HomeSAT studios, see how they broadcast their programs, and meet several of the teachers we've seen on the TV for the past few years. That was pretty neat. We even saw Gary Moore sitting in his office! Afterwards we went on a tour of the BJU campus and saw a lot of cool stuff, including a replica of the room in Westminster Abbey where they put together the canon of Scripture, some of the oldest Bibles in the world, and a pretty sweet grand piano in the "Amphitorium" (a blatant portmanteau which they use to refer to a large semicircular auditorium on campus).
Friday night Mr. Sherer took a few of us up Caesar's Head, a nearby mountain.
After a brief jaunt through North Carolina, we drove to Spartanburg, SC for dinner at the epitome of greasy-spoon joints, "The Beacon" - billed as the world's largest drive-in restaurant. People ate inside, though, but except for that I'd say it was certainly a drive-in. We ordered their standard fare, a one-pound cheeseburger smothered in another generous pound of French fries and onions. Evangeline and I were the evening's winners, being the only ones among us who could finish their half of a JC Pounder, let alone all the fries and onion rings we ate.
On Saturday we went to Papa and Nana's farm for Evangeline's birthday party. We ate watermelon, rode horses, and played creative games invented, as far as I know, by Mr. Sherer.
More later - I'm using the Sherers' computer, since mine isn't getting wireless, and I'll post some more pictures soon as well.
1 comment:
I very much miss those Sherers!
Post a Comment